Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: December 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: the struggle against city smallpox (was: Some questions)

To: Freeciv users <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: the struggle against city smallpox (was: Some questions)
From: Andrew McGuinness <andrew_mcguinness@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 07:20:20 +0000

On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 01:06:56AM +0100, Reinier Post wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 03:54:01PM +0000, Andrew McGuinness wrote:
>
> > The central underlying dynamic of ICS seems to be that even if you
> > keep food production steady in terms of surplus food points per turn,
> > you can generate workers in new cities much faster than in old cities,
> > because of the "scaling" in the foodbox.
>
> Another factor is specials!  The first tiles chosen around a city are
> obviously
> the special ones, which brings a disproportionate advantage to small cities.

Good point.  This is a reasonable thing in itself, though

> > What is the justification
> > for it taking so much more food surplus to produce the 10th worker
> > than to produce the 2nd?
>
> I think the idea is to make scale with available resources: to keep
> the number of turns required to grow approximately equal.
> >
> > What would happen if the size of the foodbox was independent of city
> > size?  Massive city growth would still be difficult because of
> > unhappiness and hygiene, but the advantage in deliberately keeping
> > cities small by producing settlers all the time would go away.
>
> I like this idea.  There's already a related setting (foodbox)
> that is sometimes used on civserver.freeciv.org, but I have
> no experience with it.

> Making cities grow faster isn;'t enough to combat city smallpox, if
> it is still to the player's best advantage to build nothing but settlers
> and do notthing but explore and found cities during most of the game.
> Your suggestion is easy to implement but it can already be approached
> closely with the existing 'foodbox' variable.

The foodbox variable doesn't affect the way that small cities grow
faster than large ones.  All through the code, the calculation of
food needed to grow is

((pcity->size+1) * game.foodbox)

If this could be changed to

(game.firstfood + ((pcity->size)*game.foodscale)) * game.foodbox

we could try other styles.  The current hardwired setting would be
equivalent to game.firstfood = 1, game.foodscale = 1.  If this
changed to game.firstfood = 4, game.foodscale = 0.25, for instance,
it would take much longer to grow to size 2, and be able to produce
a settler, than it is now, but a city of size 5 or so would be in
the same position as one in the game as it stands.

--
Andrew McGuinness     Luton, UK        andrew_mcguinness@xxxxxxxxxxxxx