Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: December 2000:
[Freeciv] the struggle against city smallpox (was: Some questions)

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv users)
Subject: [Freeciv] the struggle against city smallpox (was: Some questions)
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 02:35:42 +0100

On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 08:03:56AM -0500, Mike Jing wrote:

> >No, it is often the only way in which the game can be *won*.
> >You can play as many losing strategies as you like, but it takes
> >weak opponents, or different server settings/rulesets, to make them
> >worthwhile.
>
> Well, that pretty much goes without saying, since I assume most people play
> to win, and current rulesets used on public servers have little room for
> other strategies to be successful against a reasonably competent ICS player.

Well, small maps and generator 1 can make an enormous difference.
An incresed city distance may even help more, but I've never tried it.
Many other variables (researchspeed, diplcost, tehpenalty, landmass,
settlers) can have a serious effect.  Different rulesets (with things
like very-wide-range very powerful military units early on) can change
the game completely, but they are not very convenient to use yet,
particularly on a public server.  I feel there is enough to experiment
with even with the existing code base.

--
Reinier