Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: December 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: Some questions

To: <mike_jing@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Some questions
From: <johannes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 15:56:25 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Mike Jing wrote:
> Bobby D. Bryant <bdbryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

(text cut)

> >Another option would be to give you a discount for exploring the breadth of
> >the tech tree, and a surcharge for exploring the depth, so that players who
> >wanted to rush out and get that One True Technology would find decreasing
> >returns on their investments.
>
> There is actually something to this effect in Civ2, where you are sometimes
> forced to branch out in the tech tree.  The exact pattern hasn't been worked
> out, AFAIK, and it could lead to anomalies that would seriously delay the
> discovery of an imprortant tech.  For these reasons, it has not been
> implemeted in Freeciv.

As far as I remember both Civ1 and Civ2 included this effect (i.e. that
you would only be allowed to research a strict subset of the techs that
you had all prereqs for at any given time), and assuming it was included
to force some width in research, it wasn't very effectful. I remember I
just learned the 'correct' order to learn the techs, and this 'problem'
was solved (what was available for research was only dependent on your
current knowledge (total techs), and by researching things in a suitable
order, you wouldn't be hindered in reaching your goal in minimum time).
Of course, I have forgotten about the 'correct' order long ago.

> Mike

Johannes