Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: December 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: city smallpox (was: Some questions)

To: "Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv users <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv List <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: city smallpox (was: Some questions)
From: Daniel Sjölie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 17:31:35 +0100

On 2000-12-19 07:48:18, Bobby D. Bryant wrote:
> I don't play competition at all, because the competition players all
> want full certainty so they can win by playing a scripted solution.
> I'm happy if that makes them happy, but it
> doesn't appeal to me at all, so I don't play on the server.
>
> No flamewar intended; if the two types of player can't understand each
> other, they certainly won't convince each other to "come over to the
> {dark,light} side" by means of a flamewar.  I'm just saying it would
>be nice if the developers would consider including
> some requests as options, since some of use really would use those requests.

I certainly think I understand both sides and I wouldn't assume that
others don't... I do think that developers are open to discussion...
I don't think a patch for optional randomness would get dismissed
because it's random... Of course, it might be refused for other
reasons... :) And developers are lazy and/or buzzy - if You really want
something You'll have to do it Yourself (and that's a good thing! :)

Most of the time I want to be able to calculate what will happen -
without random elements - but I certainly see that it might be fun with
more randomness once in a while...

/Daniel

--
Now take a deep breath, smile and don't take life so seriously... :)