Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: December 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: city smallpox (was: Some questions)

To: Freeciv users <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: city smallpox (was: Some questions)
From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 07:34:22 -0600

Reinier Post wrote:

> I think there's a silent agreement among Freeciv users and developers
> that introducing randomness as a means to spread chances amongst players
> is bad, and making the interface lie to the user would be even worse.

Maybe not everyone agrees.  (That's why I suggested it as an *option*.)

One of the most fun games I ever played was when I sat down with a couple of
guys and
two boxes of Panzer Leader components, laid out a double-sized map of a
beachhead, and
each turn we rolled a die and drew that many random units ot of the box and
brought
them on the edge in a meeting engagement.  The uncertainty was almost total,
and it
was terrifying, but it made a great gaming experience.

> Yes.  I've once played the mystery modpack (which allows flight early on)
> and it is very interesting.  Unfortunately it requires a different
> tileset, and there is no mechanism to make the server select a tileset
> at the client side.  Would it be a good idea to implement a check for
> this with capabilities?  Ideally the client would be capable of loading
> different tilesets on demand, how hard would this be?

Yah, it would be nice if the server told the client what tiles to use, and the
client
either found them, or gave an error message to the player if it could not.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas