Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: December 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: Some questions

To: "Freeciv-Forum" <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Andrew McGuinness" <andrew_mcguinness@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Some questions
From: "Michael Kiermaier" <michael.kiermaier@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 02:44:55 +0100

> > To allow for city growth at the begining, the food value of certain
terrain
> > (grassland 2->3 and plains 1->2) and food specials will have to be
raised,
> > so does the food penalty threshold under despotism (2->3), as suggested
by
> > K.  (I originally gave the city center some extra food, which is not as
good
> > an idea.)
> >
> I'm not sure about increasing the food value of grassland and plains -
> that would certainly increase city growth by making it much easier to
> support very large cities, but it would completely change the game in
> the process.
>
> Have you thought of just increasing the frequency of specials?  That would
> counter ICS by more or less forcing people to build cities on
> specials, if they want them to grow or produce settlers, making it more
> difficult to find suitable city sites, but make the game play more like
> we are used to for those cities themselves.

I think increasing special frequency is better than improving the food value
of all the tiles, because it
is more straightforward and it would be impossible to build new cities every
two squares (like in ics).

but i fear that the early game would be quite slow.

i thought of this solution:
we could give a bonus to the palace (maybe that the city square gets at
least 4 food and perhaps 3 resources and 3 trade or that the city square
gets a 2 or 3 bonus on food/resouces/trade). so the capitals would grow fast
and can be located on hills / mountains (think of athens and jerusalem).

what do you think about this idea? do you have a better idea for an adequate
palace bonus?

~michael