Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12706) Events framework

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12706) Events framework
From: "Raimar Falke" <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 09:33:38 -0700

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 07:51:57AM -0700, Jason Short wrote:

> I think before this is committed we need a serious discussion of why Lua
> is the best scripting language for us.  Other alternatives include
> python, lisp (scheme), and slang.  I don't think we should choose lua
> just because it was the first script to be implemented (especially since
> it wasn't...slang has been used by freecivac for many years).

> The only arguments I've heard in favor of Lua are that it is small
> enough to be included directly in freeciv, and it is used by some other
> games.

And the first point is bogus in my eyes. We should not include a
language into the freeciv CVS tree.

Reason for it:
 - making it easier to build freeciv for windows

Reasons against it:
 - making freeciv harder to maintain (and lua will change more than
 libintl)
 - increasing the chance that we change something on the lua code
 (which would make the previous point even harder)

        Raimar

--
 email: i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "USENET is *not* the non-clickable part of WWW!"