Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#12706) Events framework

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#12706) Events framework
From: "Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa" <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 08:52:28 -0700

> [jdorje - Thu Apr 07 14:51:55 2005]:
>
> I think before this is committed we need a serious discussion of why Lua
> is the best scripting language for us.  Other alternatives include
> python, lisp (scheme), and slang.  I don't think we should choose lua
> just because it was the first script to be implemented (especially since
> it wasn't...slang has been used by freecivac for many years).

In that case it was the third. I tried Python before Lua. Nearly noone
uses slang and its syntax is just like C, warts et all. I thought we
wanted to make it easier for modpack authors to write modpacks. :)

> The only arguments I've heard in favor of Lua are that it is small
> enough to be included directly in freeciv, and it is used by some other
> games.  Are there any other points in Lua's favor?

It has GC and is byte-compiled. Dunno about slang, but Python has the
same features.

> What advantages would there be to using Lisp or Python?

Please no LISP. I know CompSci people who dislike it for being
unreadable () spaghetti, let alone regular people.

I already talked about Python.