Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#12706) Events framework

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#12706) Events framework
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 07:51:57 -0700

I think before this is committed we need a serious discussion of why Lua
is the best scripting language for us.  Other alternatives include
python, lisp (scheme), and slang.  I don't think we should choose lua
just because it was the first script to be implemented (especially since
it wasn't...slang has been used by freecivac for many years).

The only arguments I've heard in favor of Lua are that it is small
enough to be included directly in freeciv, and it is used by some other
games.  Are there any other points in Lua's favor?

What advantages would there be to using Lisp or Python?

-jason