Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12706) Events framework

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12706) Events framework
From: "Peter Schaefer" <peter.schaefer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 16:51:34 -0800

I guess a scripting language would not be slow if it was only used for
initialization or for rare events, like finding a hut, but it would be
tempting to do things like have a hook that makes a script listen to
common events like unit_moved_to (=>slow), for example to update an
internal counter which makes the huts act differently after every 100
moves ..

To throw some oil into the fire:
scripting: lua (good: sort of popular with games, bad: extra
library,allows tedious manual stack processing and handling, much like
assembler; coolness bonus: for the funny or/and operators),

scripting:scheme (good: simple; bad:I'm no expert .. hard to read?)

data serialization: yaml (good: implemented in 7+ languages, bad: the
C version is not finished yet, but might end up being a "standard" lib
for linux)