Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12706) Events framework

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12706) Events framework
From: "Benoit Hudson" <bh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 10:07:13 -0800

On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 09:29:53AM -0800, Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa wrote:
> > I have typed up a suggestion for doing the events ruleset as general
> > effects and general requirements in
> > http://www.freeciv.org/index.php/Events (see bottom of article).
> >
> > Comments? Feel free to add to the page.
>
> I added some comments. Enjoy! ;-)

I agree with Vasco that we need a reasonable language.  The question
arises: how powerful a language?  Personally, I'm all for firing up a
python interpreter to really let people go wild, and just provide an API
for creating events.

The main issue with that is it would be hard to get the AI to understand
complicated events.  There's also a runtime worry (would it be too
slow?).

        -- Benoît