Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12706) Events framework

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12706) Events framework
From: "Raimar Falke" <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 09:45:53 -0700

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 08:21:37AM -0700, Benoit Hudson wrote:

> Lisp/scheme/etc:
> ML:
> Python:
> Lua:
> Something home-grown:

Another point is user knowledge. If we choose a language which nobody
knows or (even worse) wants to learn we are out of the game. Yes you
will now say that lua is easy to learn. That is not the point. The
point is that maybe x% (1<=x<=5) of the people know python or lisp. If
they want to code for freeciv they will just do it. And the other ones
will think "do I want to learn lua? I have never heard of a project
which also uses lua..." Or it may go like "python? I want to do
something in python for some time but never had the project for it. I
will do some freeciv stuff and learn by doing."

Ok the above was total pro-python but I think I got my point
across. Lua is of not much use elsewhere.

        Raimar

--
 email: i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Like the ad says, at 300 dpi you can tell she's wearing a