Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12706) Events framework

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12706) Events framework
From: "Benoit Hudson" <bh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 08:21:37 -0700

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 07:51:57AM -0700, Jason Short wrote:
> What advantages would there be to using Lisp or Python?

As I see it:

Lisp/scheme/etc:
+ lots of AI people like lisp
+ naturally functional, which means we can play around with the
  expressions to do cool stuff like invert functions (to figure
  out the triggers, for instance)
+ scheme is quite elegant, simple, and good (just don't get my
  officemate started on common lisp)
- big interpreter

ML:
+ all the advantages of lisp, plus actual type-checking
- all the disadvantages of lisp

Python:
+ actively supported
+ already used for development
+ more common than having lisp or ml lying around
- still a big interpreter that isn't universally available

Lua:
+ small interpreter

Something home-grown:
+ total control