Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8632) Easy way to set map size with auto ratios (s

To: mburda@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8632) Easy way to set map size with auto ratios (seteables if desired)
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 06:37:41 -0700

rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> The map view is a standard X x Y grid. Thus this is the simplest set of
> parameters to define it, has been considered just hunky dorey as the
> definition of ROWS and COLUMNS in TERM definitions for a dog's age, and
> means that complex math for computing rations to get back to this level
> of simplicity for grade schoolers is not required.

But it is not hunkey dorey.  It works fine in a classical topology
because it is obvious to the user what the xsize and ysize mean.  But in
an iso or hex topology this is not the case.  The default size of 80x50
is intended to have an 8:5 ratio for a world-sized map, but in an iso
topology it sets a 16:5 ratio.  This is REALLY bad.  If the user changes
it they have the same problem.  The user does not, should not, and will
not know how native coordinates work.  So the xsize/ysize concept does
not do what they expect and exists only to confuse them.

The same problem exists if we use natural dimensions for the xsize and
ysize server variable.  Now an 80x50 map has the correct dimension ratio
but is only 1/2 as big as the user expects it to be.  No good.

The only conclusion is that xsize,ysize is not a good method for setting
the dimensions of a non-classical map.  So Marcelo suggested the
size/ratio method.  However now we wonder if advanced users wouldn't
want to be able to set the xsize/ysize directly.  We have do decide
whether any user will want the ratio concept.  Do we keep it simple and
just have one server option "size" or do we have "size" and "ratio" or
"size","xsize","ysize"?  Any of these is possible but the level of
complexity rises the more user values we allow.

-----

Marcelo,

Previously you said scenario writers would want access to the ratio
value.  Although you are a scenario maker and I am not, I don't see why
this is.  The scenario author can adjust xsize and ysize directly with
the savegame.  And civworld should allow direct manipulation of these
values.

I'm a bit torn about whether we should include ratio as a server
variable.  However, if we do not we should not have all the extra
infrastructure for manipulating it as a user parameter.

jason