Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8632) Easy way to set map size with auto ratios (s

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8632) Easy way to set map size with auto ratios (seteables if desired)
From: "Marcelo Burda" <mburda@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 15:07:10 -0700

Le mer 02/06/2004 à 22:41, Jason Short a écrit :

> Marcelo Burda wrote:
> >
> > LAST CHANGE
> > drop changes in aigoto and citytools
>
> OK, but...
>
> If the ratio is not a user (server) option, then we don't need a global
> map.ratio value.  We don't need the "100" default value.  We don't need
> the X + 10Y ratio system.  We don't need the gcf() function.  We can
> just use the ratio values straight out of the "default ratio" array.
> And this array should (probably) be an int[4][2] rather than an int[4].
>
> In short, none of the error handling code for building the ratio is needed.
>
> jason

!
Not, i disagree, i hidden to users this option (not retire) to avoid
long discutions, not to broke all work and concept. that was probably a
error. I thin ratio is a simple concept, childrens 10y can understand
it, your apear to me a little  septic, thats, ok. And Roos a little
confused,hi speak about singularities( :-S )in this patch!. Then i was
think to speak about it latter. but if the choice is to broke all, we
need to speak now.
personally (as scenario autor) i need to create map of different sizes
and ratio is the more natural way to choice it in a variety of
topologies. instead to speak of x/y sizes. (i will speak )
but normal user only need a general way to define a size of the map.
this is the point of the uncontested size option, really wanted for the
end user.

if ratio is the best way to define x / y size  that is
-one-
if we use size to define the general size of the map we need a
complementary way to define the shape of the map and not a complete
alternate way. ask the autors to set directly xsize and ysize is
basically bad.
-2-
if we set directlly xsize and ysize, autor need to understand and make
the good correction for iso maps; that is ugly for the autor
-2bis-
we can ask the autor the natural_xsize and the natural_ysize intead to
natieve. but this way the map autor need to understand that: in iso_map
the numbers of tiles is half than natural_xsize*natural_ysize

that is very ugly way to fine set a sizes of the map. that was easy
befor iso map but not today.

there are my points.

About your proposal. Default value can defined as you ask in separatly
way. that is ok, but if ratio option kip, that is a inconsitent way,
there are more nice to coders than users!

i think the user option in internals are the best compromis to a no so
exposed to end user and a feature to autors. (or coders of civworld)

Marcelo