Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8632) Easy way to set map size with auto ratios (s

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8632) Easy way to set map size with auto ratios (seteables if desired)
From: "Marcelo Burda" <mburda@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 15:51:45 -0700

Le jeu 03/06/2004 à 00:36, Jason Short a écrit :

> Marcelo Burda wrote:

> >>Oh, and...
> >>
> >>Rather than creating a new network type XYSIZE, we should just change
> >>COORD to be a SInt16.  It should be signed so that eventually we can
> >>pass negative values as the "special" coordinates rather than 255,255
> >>like we do now.
> >>
> >>Don't worry about changing any of the other values in the network code.
> >>  We can keep using 255,255 and keep MAX_LINEAR_SIZE as 254 for now.
>
> > hmmm, i no like it. are your sure this is a best way. XYSIZES and COORD
> > are differents think.
> > and if we not correct the net code this will broken capability concept.
> > today sending 255 as spetial value later 65535. i we change to big coods
> > this need to be well done. but probaly we never will need this. we can
> > make 30000 tiles maps with UINT8 for the map coordinates.
>
> XYSIZES is a native dimension whereas all COORD values are map coordinates.
>
> However COORD should be able to cover native and natural coordinates as
> well.  There's no telling what we'll want to use in the future.
>
> No, I'm not sure it's the best way.  But I don't really see any
> drawbacks to it.  If we define COORD as any tile coordinates then
> XYSIZES is a type of COORD.
but we only send map coordinates to clients. natural or native ones are
only used for calculation usage. why you want define COORD as all
cordinates system. and not only the map one. that is not so clean as
definition to coders.

for me the "problem" are than:
-COORD need to be well defined as a single coordinate system.

-one change  XYSIZES need 2byte per game more to be send
change COORD need, a grat big more number of bytes per game (no so
important)

-we need obsolutly coorrect the 255,255 spetial value now, forcint to
tooch so much code.

-the change is (for me) unneeded

-i begin borning with this patch ;-)