Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8632) Easy way to set map size with auto ratios (s

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8632) Easy way to set map size with auto ratios (seteables if desired)
From: "Marcelo Burda" <mburda@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 01:08:35 -0700

Le jeu 03/06/2004 à 09:16, rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx a écrit :

> Ratio is a bad concept that leads users to expect things they cannot get
> and the idea that this is a good way to give a map shape is misguided.
>
> The exact numbers of rows and columns in a map are dependent on a number
> of wrapping constraints and other low level details the end user also should
> not be aware of other than in ways in which they might change parameter
> input by adjusting an x or y value up or down a few counts. Fixups like
> this to user input need a simple informative message under non-verbose
> or information message category.
>
> The map view is a standard X x Y grid. Thus this is the simplest set of
> parameters to define it, has been considered just hunky dorey as the
> definition of ROWS and COLUMNS in TERM definitions for a dog's age, and
> means that complex math for computing rations to get back to this level
> of simplicity for grade schoolers is not required.
>
> Using simple parameter selections/defaults (e.g. 80x50) for standard maps in
> the non-advanced section of user input is fine and having a "bigger/smaller"
> button that allows one to choose a number of sizes with similar but adjusted
> shapes is also fine, but having the user say they want a map of 100 tiles with
> a ratio of 1.6 is just not a usable concept, and was never from its earliest
> inception, as has been stated before.
>
> This should be considered a showstopper fixup.
>
> Cheers,
> RossW
> =====

hmmm. i understand your points
player are only asked, and player only ask, to set a size. little,
medium, big. that is the base concept. i think the size option is well
done.
set size 1: is a very little one and set size 30 is a very Huge one. 7y
old concept.

xsize and ysize are unneeded. and show simplest only if map as not ISO
coordinates. For iso coordinated this need to by hard corrected to get
the users want,
if your really want set this info then we need to ask for natural size
and not for natives. to get the desired map. (but probably surprising
small)

if we make maps with a another shape (as a hexagon map) this info is
really bad.

then i think a size variables in the only really good one.

about ratio this can be more difficult.

the best way to allow player to create a no default map is with a
boutons and a preview windows where players can view the ratio. but this
is a little too much work. probably this will be done. latter.

yes the code is a complex.(this only need to be writed one time, and
this will never see by users) but not the concept. any body know about a
16:9 ratio of newer TV. or about 4:3 ratio of classic ones. this is not
a so complex concept. and this is only wanted to creator, not to
players!
players are asked to not touch this option. and this option is put in
internals not in geology to avoid this.

i want think as you, but i not like at all the xsize and ysize for
players. that are really bad information.
size are simple.
ratio not so simple but exact. and players are not so stupid. (i think!)

Marcelo