Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8632) Easy way to set map size with auto ratios (s

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8632) Easy way to set map size with auto ratios (seteables if desired)
From: "Marcelo Burda" <mburda@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 12:39:31 -0700

Le jeu 03/06/2004 à 21:15, Jason Short a écrit :

> Marcelo Burda wrote:
>
> > if you not like ratio for user i propose for this last alternative.
> > when users choice to set xsize/ysize instead size to
> > calculate internally size and ratio from  the hsize, vsize (the apparent
> > sizes ) and then calculate the xsize, ysize (natural size).
>
> We have three options, as I see it:
>
> - Just "size".  This is quite easy.  The ratio is determined
> automatically.  This is the minimalist way to go, and probably quite
> adequate.
>
> - Size and ratio.  This requires a bit of ugliness since the ratio is a
> number like 95 meaning 9:5.
>
> - Size and xsize,ysize.  This requires even more ugliness since the
> xsize,ysize must be updated when the size is changed, and vice versa.
> So we need to add callback functions for these values.  Also there's a
> problem with resolution.  size=4 is true with 80x50 and also with 84x52,
> but these are not the same.  So maybe size will need a greater
> resolution, otherwise you might get odd behavior if you did:
>
>    /set xsize 84
>    /set ysize 52
>    /show size
>    [4]
>    /set size 4
>    [this changes xsize and ysize even though there is no change]
>
> jason

Ok, we are getting the problem. :-)
you see the 3th solution are very difficult. not really good.
the first a little too much minimum ( ;-) )

for the second. (my proposal) we can make a little best allowing to
enter data in a xx:yy way. but this probably need to code a command:
 a setratio xx:yy  to set the map.ratio. If your think this is a ok way,
we can begin with the actual proposal. then i will work in a new patch
to create a more nice setratio  command. you will wait some weeks.