Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8632) Easy way to set map size with auto ratios (s

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8632) Easy way to set map size with auto ratios (seteables if desired)
From: "Marcelo Burda" <mburda@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 08:45:35 -0700

Le jeu 03/06/2004 à 15:37, Jason Short a écrit :

> Marcelo,
>
> Previously you said scenario writers would want access to the ratio
> value.  Although you are a scenario maker and I am not, I don't see why
> this is.  The scenario author can adjust xsize and ysize directly with
> the savegame.  And civworld should allow direct manipulation of these
> values.
Your think scenario makers want really work in savegames.?
this is very hard to fine touch a map and i will probably code some
cmdline tool to create maps from height maps or images.
A another way is to create map in a tool as civworld. there we can
create a windows to see and select the base shape(ratio) of the map,
then size etc. work from native coordinates are hard and ugly.

> I'm a bit torn about whether we should include ratio as a server
> variable.  However, if we do not we should not have all the extra
> infrastructure for manipulating it as a user parameter.
The alternative of size and hsize/vsize are more hard to code. to this
patch we need add more in input control. that is not more easy code. and
the alternative of only hsize/vsize (the apparents sizes) need basically
the some code.

We need think than set a single var size is the more easy and the more
often way to set a map in the future(if the patch is get) . ratio will
be a very rarely used var. but not allow to set it is for my too
restrictive.