Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8632) Easy way to set map size with auto ratios (s

To: mburda@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8632) Easy way to set map size with auto ratios (seteables if desired)
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 11:47:49 -0700

Mike Kaufman wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 12:16:40AM -0700, rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>>The map view is a standard X x Y grid. Thus this is the simplest set of
>>parameters to define it, has been considered just hunky dorey as the
>>definition of ROWS and COLUMNS in TERM definitions for a dog's age, and
>>means that complex math for computing rations to get back to this level
>>of simplicity for grade schoolers is not required.
>>
>>Using simple parameter selections/defaults (e.g. 80x50) for standard maps in
>>the non-advanced section of user input is fine and having a "bigger/smaller"
>>button that allows one to choose a number of sizes with similar but adjusted
>>shapes is also fine, but having the user say they want a map of 100 tiles with
>>a ratio of 1.6 is just not a usable concept, and was never from its earliest
>>inception, as has been stated before.
>

> I concur with this assessment. Anyone (or almost) who has the ability to
> play freeciv also has the ability to muliply 80 and 50 together to get the
> number of tiles, Using ratios for most people is going to be asking oneself
> what dimensions you want and then _calculating_ the ratio from that. Rather
> dumb. I consider this idea a no go.

This doesn't work at all in iso maps though.  If you set your map up as
an 80x50 what you really get is a 113.1371 x 35.3553 map.  This is why
if you use the default settings with an iso-map you get a hideously
(unplayably?) wide, short map.

The only solution I see to this is to discard xsize,ysize and just work
with size.

jason