Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#8890) Removal of free city center

Cc: miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#8890) Removal of free city center
From: "James Canete" <use_less@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 03:06:52 -0700

I touched up the patch a bit more.

Changes:
-cities now get two free food.  This appears in build_cache3() in cm.c
and set_food_trade_shields() in city.c.
-removed comment from cm.c, my misunderstanding with city coords.
-raised MAX_FIELDS_USED in cm.c by one.

Issues:
-implementation of two free food is a nasty hack.
-the increase in MAX_FIELDS_USED may have side effects.

Observations:
-The lack of a free city center disables the ability for the client to
auto-arrange workers by simply clicking the city center in the city
dialog.  The CMA tab must be used to auto-arrange workers.
-AI running with no free city center has an immense trade deficit
because it doesn't build roads or other terrain improvements, but does
build buildings which require upkeep.  This is probably due to broken
autosettlers.  Also, AI probably makes assumptions about city centers.

-James Canete