Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8890) Removal of free city center

To: use_less@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8890) Removal of free city center
From: "Per Inge Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 03:09:42 -0700

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004, James Canete wrote:
> I could try removing the huge food bonus, as of version 5 of this patch
> the food bonus is just a side effect of me raising the minimum food
> production of the city center (in the ruleset) to4, so I could get rid
> of the bonus out-of-nowhere food.

We need more food from somewhere, though.

> Or I could put back in the bonus out-of-nowhere food, perhaps reduced to
> 1 food.

It makes no difference whether the city gets extra food from simply
existing or from its city center. Either way it is a bonus you get from
building more cities, hence a smallpox bonus.

I tried Jason's advice on increasing food bonus of grass and plains (I do
not think increasing shields is warranted - when we have food, we get
citizens, and citizens bring shields). I also had to remove the food tile
penalties from Despotism. This worked fairly well and I did not smallpox,
since cities now grew fast enough that adding citizens in existing cities
was useful, but I still played ICS, of course.

> I think this patch is best played with a fixed-size foodbox of say 20.

I think 20 is too small. 15 + 5 * city size might be a good solution. Then
we start with 20 as before, but instead of 20, 30, 40, 50 etc we get 20,
25, 30, 35 etc, a much better progression, IMHO.

  - Per