Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#8890) Removal of free city center

To: use_less@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#8890) Removal of free city center
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 21:33:48 -0700

> [use_less - Thu Jun 03 10:06:51 2004]:
>
> I touched up the patch a bit more.
>
> Changes:
> -cities now get two free food.  This appears in build_cache3() in cm.c
> and set_food_trade_shields() in city.c.

This seems very bad.

However cities clearly do need more production.  In my testing I added
+1 food to grassland and plains (make sure to get the specials too) and
+1 production to hills and mountains.  This is a severe handicap for
despotism since it can't take advantage of this bonus.  However it makes
large cities hugely better.

> Issues:
> -the increase in MAX_FIELDS_USED may have side effects.

I think it should be fine.

> Observations:
> -The lack of a free city center disables the ability for the client to
> auto-arrange workers by simply clicking the city center in the city
> dialog.  The CMA tab must be used to auto-arrange workers.

Yes.  This is a problem.  Currently I think when you click on the city
center the client actually tries to toggle the worker there.  It sends
the packet to the server and the server interprets this as an
auto_arrange_workers() call.

Instead we need a new REQUEST_AUTO_ARRANGE_CITIZENS packet sent from the
client.  This should be triggered by a new action (or a city-center
click).  Maybe shift-clicking will do it (it should also be possible to
trigger this action through the mapview).

This should probably get a separate ticket.

jason