Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] granary size

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] granary size
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <pim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 09:29:52 +0000 (GMT)

I am looking at the code that determines a city's "granary size", the food
necessary to grow, and I fail completely to understand why the code is
written the way it is.

The current code was added in PR#635, "Patch: generalized granary size".

The current granary size is 20 for size 1 cities, and adding 10 for each
subsequent citizen. I would think this could adequately be described by
the following hypothetical ruleset options:

; City granary size is (granary_start + granary_increase * city_size)
granary_start = 10
granary_increase = 10

But instead we have:

; Parameters used to generalize the calculation of city granary size:
;   if city_size <= num_inis:
;     city_granary_size = (granary_food_ini[city_size] * foodbox)
;   if city_size > num_inis;
;     city_granary_size = (granary_food_ini[num_inis] * foodbox) +
;        (granary_food_inc * (city_size - num_inis)) * foodbox / 100
granary_food_ini        = 2
granary_food_inc        = 100

Civ1, civ2 and default all use the same ruleset parameters.

I want to try to experiment a little with different granary sizes, but I
find the current ruleset options a little hard to manipulate, so I am
considering rewriting it.

  - Per