Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8483) killstack and damage patch

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8483) killstack and damage patch
From: "LoboGris" <molv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 15:35:47 -0700

Per I. Mathisen wrote:

>Yes, and every time I've been against it. But I will try not to be
>unreasonable. Please give some arguments why this option is important and
>should be added. (Note: I will not be convinced merely by 'civ3
>compatibility'.)

I think the only reasons one can give is taste and experience.
Personally, I never liked the killstack, so I always apply my patch and
disable it. And there are more players that share the same taste. And my
large experience with a disabled killstack (the first time I offered my
patch was more than two years ago) showed me that it works very well and
gives the posibility of a flexible siege without having to construct
fortress (the fortress can be constructed further in order to obtain
extra defense points). See also the following paragraph, where I mention
longer battles.
I also want to declare that I had never played the commercial civs, so I
don't know their features. I have only played with freeciv, since long
time ago. :-)

>(damage option)
>
>This just sounds silly. What use is there for this option? Who will code
>the necessary math for unit_win_chance() so that it works with this
>option? Let alone answer the question: what does unit_win_chance()
>really return when this option is in effect?

See the code for details on how this option works. I think this is the
better way of understand this option. The function unit_versus_unit(),
which is the only function modified by the option "damage", is
independent of unit_win_chance(), so I don't understand the incidence of
this last function in the first. The only thing that damage does is to
limit number of rounds in the unit_versus_unit() algorithm, so it raises
the posibility of both survive (but not neccesary leads to both survive,
this depends on the comparative power of both units and the hit points
that had before combat). This is the only reason of this option. This
gives the emulation of longer battles. No more, no less.
Anyway, in my experience with both killstack and damage, I had
progressivelly abandoned the use of this option, because disabling
killstack by itself leads to a similar mechanism, but in a multiple
units basis instead of only one. But I have experimented a lot with this
option and its leads to a game with the following characteristics:

1) killstack is enabled (the default for freeciv, and recommended for
this game)
2) units has to be more build cost, because they are more durable.
3) You have to manage less units (more easy to organize them when you
have a big empire)

So, experimenting with damage is interesting and could be interesting
for other players. Thats the reasons I presented it, but I'm not
specially interested in its acceptation. But I am really interested in
an optional killstack (the patch can be easily divided).

Note also that the #3 can be simulated by units that behaves like
transporters, but does not participate itself in the battle...or may be
yes: think of a unit named "leader", that "transports" a lot of
heterogeneus units, but differs with a normal transporter in the fact
that the contained units participate in the battle, and the is a minor
chance than the "leader" could be destroyed. In that case, all the
contained units lost its unity and have to be managed separatelly, with
the raise of an extra organization trouble for the player.

LG