Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8483) killstack and damage patch

To: molv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8483) killstack and damage patch
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 22:02:28 -0700

LoboGris wrote:

> killstack:
>
> ;If this is set to 1, all units in the same tile of a killed unit will
> ;be killed (unless they are on a fortress, airbase or city). This is the
> ;freeciv default.
> ;If this options is set to 0, units are killed one by one,
> ;except by nuclear weapons, of course.

I thought this was already an option?  I guess not.

> damage:
>
> ; If damage is set to a large number (e.g. 255), a battle ends until one
> ; of the units is destroyed. This is the freeciv default.
> ; If is set to a low number instead (e.g. 15), both units can survive after
> ; one attack. Adjust this number at taste. For numbers less than or equal 1
> ; the efect is the same.

Um, shouldn't this be a boolean?  I don't understand the significance of
the integer value.

Also, in the patch it looks like this value is never checked.  So this
option has no effect.  Or did I miss something?

Also, I don't like the name "damage".  Surely something more descriptive
is possible?  Although I'm still not sure exactly what you're describing.

Also, I think the bombardment patch implements something similar but on
a unit-specific basis.  I suspect the method used by that patch is
probably better.

Finally, it looks like the client never properly receives these values.
  They are packaged in server/ruleset.c but are not unpackaged in
client/packhand.c.  (Note that the client never uses this value anyway.)

jason