Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8483) killstack and damage patch

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8483) killstack and damage patch
From: "LoboGris" <molv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 00:11:25 -0700

Jason Short wrote:

>LoboGris wrote:

>>killstack:
>>
>>;If this is set to 1, all units in the same tile of a killed unit will
>>;be killed (unless they are on a fortress, airbase or city). This is the
>>;freeciv default.
>>;If this options is set to 0, units are killed one by one,
>>;except by nuclear weapons, of course.
>>

>I thought this was already an option?  I guess not.

Actually not, although has been discussed more than once before.

>>damage:
>>
>>; If damage is set to a large number (e.g. 255), a battle ends until one
>>; of the units is destroyed. This is the freeciv default.
>>; If is set to a low number instead (e.g. 15), both units can survive after
>>; one attack. Adjust this number at taste. For numbers less than or equal 1
>>; the efect is the same.
>>

>Um, shouldn't this be a boolean?  I don't understand the significance of
>the integer value.

The amount of hit points lossed in a combat is regulated by this number.
With a small number, the damage is small, and the lost hit points are fewer.

>Also, in the patch it looks like this value is never checked.  So this
>option has no effect.  Or did I miss something?

Ooops...I had extracted all this from a bigger patch and I forget a
part. I will send a fixed patch in a moment.

>Also, I don't like the name "damage".  Surely something more descriptive
>is possible?  Although I'm still not sure exactly what you're describing.

Damage means the damage (indirectly, but not exactly, the lost hit
points) that a unit receive in a combat round. See the following patch I
will send.

>Also, I think the bombardment patch implements something similar but on
>a unit-specific basis.  I suspect the method used by that patch is
>probably better.
>
>Finally, it looks like the client never properly receives these values.
>  They are packaged in server/ruleset.c but are not unpackaged in
>client/packhand.c.  (Note that the client never uses this value anyway.)

Yes, that is because the client never uses this values. ¿should I fix
this anyway?

P.D.: sorry my ugly english.