[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7127) [FS] Screen design

To: i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7127) [FS] Screen design
From: "Morgan Jones" <morgan.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 17:17:10 -0800

> My current state is:
> - messages from the server and from other players in the top left
> corner (with ot without transparent box) which are are not
> clickable
> and not scrollable. They scroll away. Open here is the input widget
> where you type the server commands and messages for other players.
> - all other messages are reported in an area as text. This area is
> clickable and scrollable. The user can denote certain messages and
> these messages than cause an icon on the right side.
>
>     Raimar

It sounds like we're thinking pretty much the same thing.  What I need
to know is:

Should I keep the message/chat area that I put on the 'Map' page of
the main GUI?  I was thinking that it might be better to give it's own
dedicated 'Messages' page - and therefore not being visible all the
time, as I'm thinking that all the important stuff can be seen by one
of the other two methods.

We could use the icon on the 'Message' page's tab to indicate whether
there are any new messages that haven't appeared elsewhere.  It would
be reset each time this page is opened.

And should the input string stay where it is, or should it be shifted
to the 'Messages' page too, or should it be removed entirely in favour
of a on-map input string that appears with a keypress.

So what should I do?  leave it all where it is or create a new page
for it?

     -Morgan