[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7127) [FS] Screen design

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7127) [FS] Screen design
From: "Raimar Falke" <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 08:06:38 -0800

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 04:44:45AM -0800, Morgan Jones wrote:

> Some more layout ideas:

You know that you now only define a layout but also a style/look? This
is very good. While it looks a bit out-dated it is consistent and with
a high recognition value.

While I'm sure that it was coincidence I want to point out another
think I like: the use of different colors. Main.png looks very blue
and CityPopup.png looks green. While there are no controls in Main.png
which are actually blue I think blue should be choosen here. So every
tab gets a color.

> Main.png:  Same as the last one (Layout3.png) but with the 'Nation'
> page shown too.  This is an amalgam of the Tax, Trade, and
> Demographics dialogs.  I haven't changed the 'Map' page yet as I'm
> waiting to see what the best solution to the messages/chat problem is.

I think we should add the quick-revolution which the GTK client
has. You choose the target government say "switch me to this
government". Since this requires space for the list of governments I
would move the list of buildings to another tab.

What is the '999' supposed to be in "Tax: 999"?

> CityPopup.png:  This is a layout idea of the City Popup screen,
> overview page only.

I really want to change production of a city without popup (old gtk
client and your screenshot) or scrolling (new gtk client). What is
acceptable is doing clicks. So after I click "Change" the screen is
more or less replaces with a worklist editor screen. Everything which
the city can produce is visible without scrolling. It looks like the
current GTK worklist.

I think the trade routes and the city improvements need less
space. Cut the city icons for the trade routes and limit the city
improvements list to 4-5 items.

The city list on the left side is very nice. Add some sorting icons
(by name, by founding year, by size (but no more)) on top or
bottom. Don't add the info of the founding year or size to the list.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "USENET is *not* the non-clickable part of WWW!"