[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7127) [FS] Screen design

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7127) [FS] Screen design
From: "Raimar Falke" <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 23:27:10 -0800

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 05:49:01PM -0800, Morgan Jones wrote:

> > While I'm sure that it was coincidence I want to point out another
> > think I like: the use of different colors. Main.png looks very blue
> > and CityPopup.png looks green. While there are no controls in
> > Main.png which are actually blue I think blue should be choosen
> > here. So every tab gets a color.
>
> I'll have a look at ways I can promote this then.  While most
> everything so far is in shades of grey there's nothing stopping this
> from changing.  Grey was just a useful colour to work with.
>
> I was imagining that the background areas would be replaced by some
> sort of tiled texture.
>
> Maybe I'll try a few out and see how it turns out.

Please do

> > What is the '999' supposed to be in "Tax: 999"?
>
> Oh I was thinking that the total wealth/gold that your entire civ
> produced each turn could be displayed here.  So you get a direct
> indication of how setting your tax rate affects your income.  Same for
> Science and Luxury.  Perhaps 'Tax' is a bad choice of term, is
> 'Income' better?

Good idea.

I have no hard option for Tax vs Income.

> > I think the trade routes and the city improvements need less
> > space. Cut the city icons for the trade routes and limit the city
> > improvements list to 4-5 items.
>
> What do you think needs this space instead?  The supported/present
> units?

So we have screen space left? Thats nice. It can be used for:
 - buttons for the units (center on unit, wake up, sentry, ...)
 - happiness display
 - effect display (no client has this so far, but it will be coming)
 It will read:
   +13% food
   +3% science
   -7% gold

I think the buttons idea is the best. How did you think the player can
sentry a present unit? Or isn't this possible in the city screen?

> I must admit I'm a bit loath to lose the city graphics for the trade
> routes.  This is a feature I've always wanted in the game as I think
> that if you have a trade route with a city you would know what that
> city looked like and what size it was.  A useful bit of intelligence.

It is your design. You decide.

> I thought that this, as well as moving them to the main page, would
> encourage newcomers to the game to use trade routes more often.

The maths for trade routes are just too bad. This is the reason people
don't build them.

> > The city list on the left side is very nice. Add some sorting icons
> > (by name, by founding year, by size (but no more)) on top or
> > bottom. Don't add the info of the founding year or size to the list.
>
> Not sure there'll enough room for both founding year and size (at
> least in 640x480) but size is a good idea and I'll definately put that
> in.  Also the list would normally be alphabetized which I didn't show.

> Why not add size to the list itself?

Because it will turn into the little brother of the real city
list. This wastes screen space on the normal city screen.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "I do feel kind of sorry for Microsoft. Their attornies and marketing