[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7127) [FS] Screen design

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7127) [FS] Screen design
From: "Raimar Falke" <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 07:38:50 -0800

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 05:20:07PM -0800, Morgan Jones wrote:

> >> Ok here's a new hastily thrown together layout idea.
> >>
> >> Please note that I haven't covered everything; I just wanted to
> >> see if
> >> this idea was worth pursuing or not.
> >
> > Looks very nice! You have talent for pixel-perfect layout.
>
> Thank you.
>
> > Yes, I like this. GalCiv is more like this as well. The thing is,
> > when I play a game, I'm not very interested in doing janitor work
> > managing windows. So fixed position windows or mode screens work
> > better.
>
> My thoughts too.
>
> >> I've attached a picture of the GUI as it might appear on both the
> >> 'Map' page (minimap, current unit, etc) and a hastily put together
> >> idea of the 'Cities' page (i.e. the City Report).
> >>
> >> Not all reports or dialogs will work well like this, the city
> >> popup,
> >> the help menu, and the spaceship screen spring to mind and these
> >> would
> >
> > Perhaps the city menu, but the others could work in this fashion as
> > well.
>
> I intend to have a go at the others in this fashion too.  And at
> Raimar's suggestion they should be available in full screen mode too.
>
> > Yes, it is very nice. I am still unsure about the chatline though.
> > Perhaps that one would work better with a sort of translucent
> > drop-down console a-la Quake, with messages superimposed on the map,
> > like in Quake. It either uses too much space or isn't visible enough
> > otherwise.
> >
> Ok after having looked at the Neverwinter Nights and Quake III
> screenshots here are my thoughts:
>
> -All chat and messages appear in at least one of three possible ways:
>
> 1)  In the top left corner of the screen superimposed over the map ala
> Quake 3, though possibly in a transparent box if necessary to look
> good.  The player can define how many lines are displayed at one time
> and new messages force old ones off the top of the screen.  This area
> is not scrollable but it is clickable by hilighting the text when the
> mouse moves over it.
>
> This would perhaps be cleared at each turn end or a message
> dissappears after a user defined number of turns.
>
> This would be useful for messages that you need to know immediately,
> such as what you've just found in a hut.
>
> 2)  Message icon appears in the bottom right corner of the screen.
> There are different icons for different message types.  If there are
> more than one message of that type a small number appears next to the
> relevant icon.  Icons stack vertically up the right hand side of the
> screen.
>
> Clicking (Double-clicking?) on one of these icons brings up a
> transparent box in the centre or lower middle of the map ala
> Neverwinter Nights.  This will display all the messages of that type.
> A scroll bar will only be added if there are too many messages to fit
> an appropriate max area as the box will resize to fit the messages it
> [...]

My current state is:
 - messages from the server and from other players in the top left
 corner (with ot without transparent box) which are are not clickable
 and not scrollable. They scroll away. Open here is the input widget
 where you type the server commands and messages for other players.
 - all other messages are reported in an area as text. This area is
 clickable and scrollable. The user can denote certain messages and
 these messages than cause an icon on the right side.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Many of my assistants were fans of Tolkien, who wrote 'Lord of the Rings'