[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7127) [FS] Screen design

To: i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7127) [FS] Screen design
From: "Morgan Jones" <morgan.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 16:23:27 -0800

On  7/01/2004, you wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 08:14:03PM -0800, Morgan Jones wrote:

>> Ok here's a new hastily thrown together layout idea.
>>
>> Please note that I haven't covered everything; I just wanted to see
>> if this idea was worth pursuing or not.
>>
>> As I said before having as much of the map visible as possible is
>> IMO essential to a good layout. I was also thinking about how it's
>> frustrating that if you want to find a city or unit you have to
>> open the find city, city or military report, select the unit, click
>> popup or centre or whatever and then close the dialog to see the
>> map again (well unless you've got a massive screen resolution).
>
>> So my proposal is that the main GUI has different pages that you
>> can switch to and from without ever opening anything over top of
>> the mapview.
>
> While the reasons you stated are good I don't think this is a good
> idea. The problem is that the city list for example now has only a
> 1/3 of the screen space. You are forced to use a small font or
> display only a small amount of information.
>
> What about a switch which makes certain screens (city list for
> example) full screen? Or if you click on an icon you switch to this
> screen/report with 1/3 height and if you double click it will be
> full screen after switching.

Yes this is definitely needed.  Then you can use the condensed reports
for easily finding cities, units, etc, and if you're wanting to look
at an overview of everything you can switch to full screen mode.

To make it fully flexible, you could set it up so that left clicking
on tab brings up the condensed-doesn't-obscure-map report and right
clicking instantly brings up the full screen dialog.  So all options
are available still with one click only.

I'll put together some more layouts over the next few days.

     -Morgan