[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7127) [FS] Screen design

To: i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7127) [FS] Screen design
From: "Morgan Jones" <morgan.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 20:29:58 -0800

>> It is planned to use freetype (http://www.freetype.org/) to render
>> text. The true-type font to use will be included as part of the
>> theme.
>>
>> It may happend that for very slow computers (like an original
>> A500)
>> freetype is too slow. In this case the platform code could use
>> native
>> fonts.
>
> Freeciv is played/playable on original A500?

No.  Not enough memory, and you can't open a screen big enough.
Requires an Amiga with AGA or a graphics card.

>> Some of you may remember Settlers I. If there was an important
>> issue an icon fall down on the right side and sat there till you
>> clicked it. I want this feature for at least diplomacy meetings. I
>> think it can be used for other popuping up messages as well. This
>> may look like http://freeciv.org/~rfalke/fs3_pics/mapview3.png.

That's a very good idea.  All messages/chat would be output to the
combine message/chat area but the player could 'mark' certain message
types as important enough to cause a message icon to appear.

You could even have a different style icon for different message
types so you could easily tell which you read urgently.

This would be a excellent replacement for popups, which while handy
are bloody annoying when you're in the middle of running away from
nasty barbarian frigates.

We've still got to figure out where that combined message/chat area
is though.  Personally I think having the whole writing on map or
transparent box is more trouble than it's worth.

I'd rather see it be in part of the main GUI, but perhaps with message
icons it doesn't need to be always visible?

     -Morgan