[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7127) [FS] Screen design

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7127) [FS] Screen design
From: "Raimar Falke" <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 22:44:18 -0800

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 08:14:03PM -0800, Morgan Jones wrote:

> Ok here's a new hastily thrown together layout idea.
>
> Please note that I haven't covered everything; I just wanted to see if
> this idea was worth pursuing or not.
>
> As I said before having as much of the map visible as possible is IMO
> essential to a good layout.  I was also thinking about how it's
> frustrating that if you want to find a city or unit you have to open
> the find city, city or military report, select the unit, click popup
> or centre or whatever and then close the dialog to see the map again
> (well unless you've got a massive screen resolution).

> So my proposal is that the main GUI has different pages that you can
> switch to and from without ever opening anything over top of the
> mapview.

While the reasons you stated are good I don't think this is a good
idea. The problem is that the city list for example now has only a 1/3
of the screen space. You are forced to use a small font or display
only a small amount of information.

What about a switch which makes certain screens (city list for
example) full screen? Or if you click on an icon you switch to this
screen/report with 1/3 height and if you double click it will be full
screen after switching.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Are you saying that you actually used the Classpath Java AWT classes in