[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7127) [FS] Screen design

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7127) [FS] Screen design
From: "Raimar Falke" <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 22:52:20 -0800

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 08:29:58PM -0800, Morgan Jones wrote:
> >> Some of you may remember Settlers I. If there was an important
> >> issue an icon fall down on the right side and sat there till you
> >> clicked it. I want this feature for at least diplomacy meetings. I
> >> think it can be used for other popuping up messages as well. This
> >> may look like http://freeciv.org/~rfalke/fs3_pics/mapview3.png.
>
> That's a very good idea.  All messages/chat would be output to the
> combine message/chat area but the player could 'mark' certain message
> types as important enough to cause a message icon to appear.

This configuration is already there in the current clients in the
message-options-dialog.

> You could even have a different style icon for different message
> types so you could easily tell which you read urgently.

Yes.

> This would be a excellent replacement for popups, which while handy
> are bloody annoying when you're in the middle of running away from
> nasty barbarian frigates.

Yes.

> We've still got to figure out where that combined message/chat area
> is though.  Personally I think having the whole writing on map or
> transparent box is more trouble than it's worth.
>
> I'd rather see it be in part of the main GUI, but perhaps with message
> icons it doesn't need to be always visible?

I see the chat ara (lower-right corner of your layout.png) as this
place. Maybe with some more screen space.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "These download files are in Microsoft Word 6.0 format. After