[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7127) [FS] Screen design

To: i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7127) [FS] Screen design
From: "Morgan Jones" <morgan.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 04:04:14 -0800

Here's a redesign of the City popup screen.

Essential differences:

- Screen now only covers the map area (2/3 of screen) rather than
entire screen.  This is to avoid duplication of functions with
elements of the main GUI.  Now both are accessable at the same time.

-The city map and output is visible on all pages.

-List of cities down the left side is gone as the 'Cities' page of the
main GUI can be used for this instead.

-All production stuff moved to 'Worklist' page to avoid having two
different ways of changing production.

-Units given their own page so more can be displayed and appropriate
order buttons available (at least for the MUI client, orders were only
available by a right click menu.

-'Overview' page currently only shows the city's improvements and
trade routes.  I was going to put happiness here too but I couldn't
get it to fit in any intuitive and easily understandable manner.  It
will therefore have it's own page.  It will be easy to make space for
future features on this page (i.e effects).

So far I've done the 'Overview', 'Worklist', and 'Units' pages.  the
latter also shows the 'Units' page of the main GUI.

I think this redesign is a bit more intuitive and functional, with not
so much compressed onto one page.

Thoughts and comments most welcome.

I've haven't had much success experimenting with texture/colour yet,
at least nothing that I'd be willing to post.  I'll keep at it but I
suspect my skills are better suited to functional layouts rather than designing
beautiful eye-catching GUIs.

     -Morgan

PNG image

PNG image