Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: client/server authentication (PR#1767)

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: client/server authentication (PR#1767)
From: "Mike Kaufman" <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 14:51:09 -0700

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 02:26:39PM -0700, ChrisK@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> FWIW, it would be nice to be able to switch the auth step off (at the
> server!). Most Freeciv users just want to play. Then the server accepts any
> user name, and the client skips the password entry. Or, more exactly, the
> server would perform authentication only if started with civserver --auth

Well, the easy solution to this is: don't compile with --enable-auth. the
client should be unaffected. you can still log into authenticating servers,
but your compiled server will not be authenticating.

doing ser --auth requires some work to the capability string. see #3706.
But I'm not sure that it's necessary in this case. There will be very few
who need to start a server as authenticating, and if they do, it won't be
for every once in a while.

> BTW, what happened to the connect patch?

Daniel Speyer has been working on it. Because connectdlg is in flux, I've
asked him to delay it. Also the inclusion of the pregame player's list is
going to eliminate one of my outstanding problems with his patch. So the
answer is: it's not dead. it's sleeping.

-mike