Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: client/server authentication (PR#1767)

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: client/server authentication (PR#1767)
From: "Mike Kaufman" <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 12:23:55 -0700

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 12:01:05PM -0700, Paul Zastoupil wrote:
> Well, hopefully the "authserver" would be a fairly strict server in what
> it allowed:  No guests, special rules about AIs, restricted server
> settings etc.  It would have a more tournament atmosphere.  Then we
> could leave pubserver much the way it is now.

stealing players is not good. authentication fixes this. authentication is
the way to go on the public servers. It takes 20 seconds to create a new
user (another reason why you shouldn't have to go to some webpage to do
this). It also allows people to keep track of stats on the public servers,
which you cannot do reliably without authentication.

If you want to have a set of tournament servers with a separate database,
disallowing guest logins, requiring registration via webpage, that sounds
cool to me, but the general type of authentication needs to go onto all the
public servers.

-mike