Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: client/server authentication (PR#1767)

To: kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: client/server authentication (PR#1767)
From: "Mark Metson" <markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 14:45:48 -0700

On Thu, 8 May 2003, Raimar Falke wrote:

> > As chris mentioned, I would be willing to go for a --password option, which
> > if it is used, will skip the password input step and send that password to
> > the server.
>
> Command line options are bad since they can be viewed by the other
> users of the system. ps shows this.

People who use their computer as a gaming console are probably among the
most likely bunch to also be using it alone as in not multi-user.

But for paranoids, how about a commandline way of specifying a file that
contains the password, or (this maybe already exists?) a commandline way
of specifying an alternate client-config file to use instead of the
default client-config, so that the password can be put into the
client's configuration. (Or, allow client configuration to contain
passwords on a per server+port basis? Sounds complicated, maybe a separate
client-config per game you're in would be easier?)

-MarkM-

--
Got a website? Get 10,000+ hits a day FREE...
http://makemoney.knotwork.com/10000hits/