Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: client/server authentication (PR#1767)

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: client/server authentication (PR#1767)
From: "Mike Kaufman" <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 11:56:09 -0700

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 11:39:13AM -0700, Paul Zastoupil wrote:

> Once again, I know I'm late in this discussion and this may not even be
> relevant, but for that I blame Petr.
>
> I was thinking for pubserver.freeciv.org we would have people register
> through a webpage.  I would really like to have an email on file.

this is perfectly fine as an addition. the servers are going to do a
lookup on a central database, so it doesn't really matter how exactly
the user entries get into the database. I disagree on completely removing
insert code from the server. It might be warranted for a server to
be able to disallow new logins though.

> Actually, what I was really thinking was to set up a whole different
> server for authenticated games.  So pubserver would remain more or less
> public for people to play wide open games with weird settings etc.  I
> have another server we could use as "authserver".  I would like to lock
> down the server quite a bit more.

I'm wondering what this would accomplish? Any joe off the street can log in
and create a new account, and if they don't want to do that, they could log
in as a guest and avoid the authenticating procedure altogether. And
besides this, one of the motivating factors here was stopping people from
stealing players. If you want to have a more restrictive server, you could
remove the ability for people to login as guests.

-mike