Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: client/server authentication (PR#1767)

To: kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: client/server authentication (PR#1767)
From: "Mark Metson" <markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 06:34:16 -0700

On Thu, 8 May 2003, ChrisK@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> The password should not be saved. You won't never autoconnect to a server
> which requires authentication.

Uh, I do that. I am in a Long Turn Civ game (see forums.civ.org.pl) they
use a server that has some kind of auth patch and I think most of us use
autoconnect scripts to log us on each day to make our move.

Their auth puts the password beside the username, separated by a colon. I
put that into a commandline arg to my client, along with a flag that makes
the client autoconnect (and the server and port and the no-sound flag
etc), all inside a little shell script that I run when I
want to connect to that game.

Afterall, the auth is not for the purpose of keeping other users of my
console from logging into the game as me. It is to keep others at remote
locations from logging into the game as me. So being able to script it is
very good, please do not force me to actually type a password each time!

-MarkM-

--
Got a website? Get 10,000+ hits a day FREE...
http://makemoney.knotwork.com/10000hits/