Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: client/server authentication (PR#1767)

To: kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: client/server authentication (PR#1767)
From: "ChrisK@xxxxxxxx" <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 14:26:39 -0700

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 12:01:05PM -0700, Paul Zastoupil wrote:
> On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 11:56:09AM -0700, Mike Kaufman wrote:
> > On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 11:39:13AM -0700, Paul Zastoupil wrote:
> > >
> > > Once again, I know I'm late in this discussion and this may not even be
> > > relevant, but for that I blame Petr.
> > >
> > > I was thinking for pubserver.freeciv.org we would have people register
> > > through a webpage.  I would really like to have an email on file.
> >
> > this is perfectly fine as an addition. the servers are going to do a
> > lookup on a central database, so it doesn't really matter how exactly
> > the user entries get into the database. I disagree on completely removing
> > insert code from the server. It might be warranted for a server to
> > be able to disallow new logins though.
>
> Yes, of course.  I didn't mean remove it from the code, but I would like
> to disable it.

FWIW, it would be nice to be able to switch the auth step off (at the
server!). Most Freeciv users just want to play. Then the server accepts any
user name, and the client skips the password entry. Or, more exactly, the
server would perform authentication only if started with civserver --auth

Since this a server matter, I mention this now. I'm still wanting a better
user interface (aka client controlled server), but this a totally different
issue.

BTW, what happened to the connect patch?

Christian

--
Christian Knoke     * * *      http://www.enter.de/~c.knoke/