Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Cheating

To: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Cheating
From: Mark Metson <markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 09:38:02 -0300 (ADT)

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Christian Knoke wrote:

> > Secundo: I'd like simple solution. When we block enemy stack (IMHO
> > correct way) then server should send only first unit from stack to
> > client. I try it on sea transports and almost always first unit on
> > stack was transport unit. This won't be important in ground/air units
> > (except diplomat/spy/sub units) , you simple see first unit on stack.
>
> Can you send the unit with the best attack instead?

I think you should be seeing the unit with the best defense. You will find
out about attack when attacked, it is defense that ought to be defending
the other units in the stack from being seen. Think of shields hiding
things a la the "tortoise" manoever as compared to "covering fire" (which
can be construed as an attack).

If you wanted to get really fancy you could try to make it that any of
your units that actually do get attacked will be so impressed/suppressed
("covering fire") by the attacking unit(s) that they fail to notice the
defending unit(s) that are in the same stack; and tell the client about
the best defender only if the client's player has a unit with visual
contct that has not been attacked by any unit in the stack; but tell the
client about all units in the stack that have attacked that turn IFF one
or more units that they attacked survived the attack.

-MarkM-

--
Got a website? Get 10,000+ hits a day FREE...
http://makemoney.knotwork.com/10000hits/