Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Cheating

To: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Cheating
From: Rafal Bursig <bursig@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 09:51:09 +0200

Dnia 2003.04.25 11:03, Christian Knoke napisał(a):
On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 04:02:49AM +0100, Vasco Alexandre Da Silva
Costa wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Christian Knoke wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 09:48:17PM +0200, Raimar Falke wrote:
> > >
> > > This link (http://catb.org/~esr/writings/quake-cheats.html) was
posted
> > > to linux-kernel and is a bit related to freeciv.
> >
> > ----
> > Carmack observes that "the [cheating] clients/proxies focus on two
main
> > areas -- giving the player more information than they should have,
and
> > performing actions more skillfully."
> > ----
> >
> > Freeciv isn't Quake. I think it is not to hard to fix the main
information
> > leak (we could invent an "indifferent" tile which is assumed to be
next to a
> > known tile near the border to the unknown, and correct the drawing
once it
> > gets known). As to move bots, we could have an intelligent move
model, which
> > is subtle enough to not effect the usability too much, and
guarantees that
> > fighting does not become unfair - without blocking bots of course,
we need
> > them for CSAI. Some ideas of such models have been on the list
recently. I
> > would be happy if we get this.
>
> Jeez is it that much of a big deal to be able to see one tile extra?
You
> could already do that in Civ1 for example. It is no big deal if
anyone can
> use this information. In that case it is not unfair.

Well, if it was like this ... If you reveal this information, by
drawing the
tiles, you have the same drawing problem: how to draw the tile
"bindings"
(can you say so?). So, why not solve the problem at the root, and
change the
drawing a little bit? On the other hand, if you reveal the tiles,
exploring
(it's fun!) will change a lot, because the number of tiles we talk
about
isn't small. For me, it doesn't make sense.

I suppose, the tile information is only needed for drawing, currently.
Or
are there other uses I'm not aware of?

> What would be unfair was something like we once had: submarine
position
> info being always sent regardless of visibility. Especially when we
didn't
> even have fog-of-war and stealth had much more significance.

Yes, we have made progress in this respect.

about cheating... client has access to tile units stack.
I don't know if this is correct functionality (IMHO not) but you can see all enemy units in this tile (client block this info). Server should check if units in tile belong to player or allied player and if true then send all "stack" info but if not then send only first units info.

Rafal

Ponad 100 tysiecy facetow szukajacych przyjaciolki, kochanki, zony, dziewczyny... Czekamy! >>> http://link.interia.pl/f170e