Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Cheating

To: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Cheating
From: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 00:32:43 +0200

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 09:48:17PM +0200, Raimar Falke wrote:

> This link (http://catb.org/~esr/writings/quake-cheats.html) was posted
> to linux-kernel and is a bit related to freeciv.

----
Carmack observes that "the [cheating] clients/proxies focus on two main
areas -- giving the player more information than they should have, and
performing actions more skillfully."
----

Freeciv isn't Quake. I think it is not to hard to fix the main information
leak (we could invent an "indifferent" tile which is assumed to be next to a
known tile near the border to the unknown, and correct the drawing once it
gets known). As to move bots, we could have an intelligent move model, which
is subtle enough to not effect the usability too much, and guarantees that
fighting does not become unfair - without blocking bots of course, we need
them for CSAI. Some ideas of such models have been on the list recently. I
would be happy if we get this.

>       Raimar

Christian

--