Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Cheating

To: Rafal Bursig <bursig@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Cheating
From: Mark Metson <markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 05:41:39 -0300 (ADT)

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Mark Metson wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Rafal Bursig wrote:
>
> > about cheating... client has access to tile units stack.
> > I don't know if this is correct functionality (IMHO not) but you can
> > see all enemy units in this tile (client block this info).
[snip]

> Now THAT would be useful functionality. I've often wished I could look at
> what was in an enemy stack. If I'd known my client had that info on hand
> I'd have been thinking of making a custom client long ago... ;-)

I wouldn't even consider that to be cheating. The purpose of your client
is to display to you in ways useful to you your information that you have
been provided regarding the game universe, and to convey back to that
universe you instructions/manipulations of that universe.

If the game has seen fit to provide you with that information, it seems
criminal negligence on the part of your client not to make that
information available to you.

After all this is FreeCiv, the server/client based free open source Civ
game, not the old athena-based Civ where we all sort of ran servers in
parallel. Part of the purpose of using the client/server model, if I
recall correctly, was precisely to limit to the server all information not
intended for the players aka permit the clients to display any/all
information available to them as they saw fit.

-MarkM-

--
Got a website? Get 10,000+ hits a day FREE...
http://makemoney.knotwork.com/10000hits/