Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Cheating

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Cheating
From: Rafal Bursig <bursig@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 12:51:36 +0200

Dnia 2003.04.25 12:51, Per I. Mathisen napisał(a):
On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Rafal Bursig wrote:
> about cheating... client has access to tile units stack.

Yes, this should be fixed, but the problem is, we don't have a rule
about what is the "first" unit in a stack. The server just sends the whole
stack, and then the client decides how to show it.

There are two ways to solve this: Either to give all clients the
ability to see what is in a stack, or to define rules for what is a "top unit"
of a stack, and only send that. Either way is a challenge.

Primo: Some people may want have this functionality (see enemy unit stack).
Then this can be configure via server options.

Secundo: I'd like simple solution. When we block enemy stack (IMHO correct way) then server should send only first unit from stack to client. I try it on sea transports and almost always first unit on stack was transport unit. This won't be important in ground/air units (except diplomat/spy/sub units) , you simple see first unit on stack. Maybe server can send info that there are more units on tile.

I don't look in entire code here and I don't know if server send diplomat/spy/sub units position to client (IMHO this will be wrong if client have info about they positions all the time). In this case we must make sure that those type of units never be first on unit stack (if are first then don't send it). Client should resived info about it, only if your (or maybe ally) unit enter (or detect with own vison range - Destroyers/Heli vs Subs) on tile with those units.

A special problem for the latter solution is allied units. For some
purposes, the client wants to know if it can attack a stack. If a
stack contains one enemy unit and one allied unit, and the allied unit is on
top and the client is not told about the enemy unit below, the client
would not know it can attack the enemy unit.

hmm... maybe not.
We should have rule that "Your Ally's unit always protect your enemy's unit when your ally and your enemy are ally and have units on the same tile". And when you want attack such units with normal units then you must make some diplomat acitons (cancel ally -> declare war or oder that your ally cancel ally with your enemy -> declare war your enemy) new diplomacy code can be usefull here.

Secound you could attack such "stack" by spy unit and sabotage enemy units.

Rafal

Ponad 100 tysiecy facetow szukajacych przyjaciolki, kochanki, zony, dziewczyny... Czekamy! >>> http://link.interia.pl/f170e