Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4075) rewrite base_map_to_city_map

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4075) rewrite base_map_to_city_map
From: "Raimar Falke" <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 06:27:01 -0700

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 03:37:31AM -0700, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Apr 2003, Jason Short wrote:
> > When compiling with -O2 I found a small (0.9%) speed improvement in the
> > overall server speed.When compiling with debugging this is negated
> > (presumably by the extra CHECK_MAP_POS call done from map_distance_vector).
>
> While on this topic, can we please remove CHECK_MAP_POS from within very
> frequently called nested constructs? This is a terrible speed killer, and
> I've never seen it catch a bug. We'll find more bugs if the speed of
> --enable-debug=yes is increased, so that more people will use it. At the
> moment, it seems I'm the only one who does. And I don't want to be
> everyone else's guinea pig.

About --enable-debug=yes: you also take a rather large speed hit by
freelog(LOG_DEBUG,...). With --enable-debug != yes the compiler will
remove these calls. With --enable-debug=yes you have at least one
function call logdebug_check. And these freelog(LOG_DEBUG,...) are in
a sometimes in the nested loops. If you fix this somehow I may also
switch to --enable-debug=yes.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx