Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4075) rewrite base_map_to_city_map

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4075) rewrite base_map_to_city_map
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 03:37:31 -0700

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003, Jason Short wrote:
> When compiling with -O2 I found a small (0.9%) speed improvement in the
> overall server speed.When compiling with debugging this is negated
> (presumably by the extra CHECK_MAP_POS call done from map_distance_vector).

While on this topic, can we please remove CHECK_MAP_POS from within very
frequently called nested constructs? This is a terrible speed killer, and
I've never seen it catch a bug. We'll find more bugs if the speed of
--enable-debug=yes is increased, so that more people will use it. At the
moment, it seems I'm the only one who does. And I don't want to be
everyone else's guinea pig.

  - Per