Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: rfc: default production

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv Developers ML <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: rfc: default production
From: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 11:42:38 -0400

At 06:16 PM 02/09/09 +0200, Reinier Post wrote:
>On Sun, Sep 08, 2002 at 03:28:39PM +0000, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
>> On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Raimar Falke wrote:
>> > Yes giving up and just building coinage is a good solution IMHO. And
>> > if no coinage is available choosea settler. The problem is removing
>> > AI dependencies in the server. And it isn't a big problem if the user
>> > has to switch from coinage to something other. We can also make this a
>> > seperate event so that players can filter for it.
>>
>> Coinage is a good default, since people will never want to keep it. You'd
>> scroll down the city list and see all those coinage, and change them. If
>> it was something moderately useful, like a bank or a settler, you could
>> mistakenly believe you put it there on purpose some other turn.
>
>I thought you lost half of your production when switching from coinage to
>something useful?

It should work as a temporary diversion of all shield output into cash
without affecting the current shield reserve.

The question is if you switch to coinage, then back to either the original
production, or a new one, where does the production penalty occur. IMHO, it
should remember the old production, and use it when switching back to
impose any penalties.

But being lazy, I haven't tried to ferret out the flow in such a case :-).

Making coinage the new default in cases where production just completed
should have no effect on any subsequent change other than what currently
exists in any event, i.e. this should be the current behaviour.

Also, if shield production wraps on completion, there should be no penalty
for the first 10 shields (maybe 10% would be worth considering as an option).

>> Yours
>> Per
>--
>Reinier